Friday, September 25, 2015

The Great Debate: Alcohol



People like to argue (prove their point, or opinion), so now is your chance. This Friday night we will be having a debate and the topic will be whether or not alcohol is a good thing or a bad thing.

Here are some ways of expressing yourself that are considered to be polite in English conversation.

Stating your argument "for:"
I'm in favor of ________ because _______.
I think it's right to ____________.
I believe it's a good idea to __________.
I believe ______ is OK under some circumstances.

Stating your argument "against:"
I'm opposed to ______ because ______.
I think it's wrong to _________.
I'm against _______.
I feel ______ is morally wrong.

Agreeing
I completely agree.
I couldn't agree more.
That's exactly what I think.
You're so right.
I agree with you on that one.

Disagreeing
That's true, but __________.
That's one way to look at it, but ______.
I completely disagree.
On the one hand, _________, but on the other hand, ________.

Another part of a good debate is doing some research. Here is an interesting infographic that talks about the consequences of alcohol.


Here are some more resources about alcohol:


"Back from the edge" One woman's story of overcoming addiction - http://www.amazingfacts.org/news-and-features/changed-lives/testimony/id/10845/t/back-from-the-edge

------------------
English Journal

What are your personal views on alcohol? Do you drink? How often? Has it ever caused problems in your life?

What topic do you like to argue or debate? Politics, religion, or something else? If you don't like to argue or debate, why not?
--------------------




No comments:

Post a Comment