Thursday, June 18, 2015

Relating to Others: Understanding our Strengths and Weaknesses






Personality tests and evaluations tell us a lot about who we might be, but many times we see only the good things and wonder, "Couldn't that describe anyone, really?" It's less likely that we see the weaknesses that tell us so much about ourselves as well. We can learn a lot by understanding our strengths, but we get more of a full picture when we understand our weaknesses and limitations as well.

What good can come out of our weaknesses?

Everyone is proud of their strengths, afterall, that's what we are good at. We should be happy when we do something well, or are appreciated for who we are. When we understand our weaknesses as well, we have a clearer idea of who we are as a person and what our limitations are. We can work on those weaknesses so that they don't make life harder for us or interfere with our relationships.

When I am weak, then I am strong


"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corinthians 12:9. 10 English Standard Version (ESV))

We all are only human and all have weaknesses. The good news is that God can work with us! Even with our weaknesses He can help us to help others. Many times he uses our weakness to show His strength, to prove to us that nothing is too hard for Him. This helps our faith because we see that it is not our limited strength that we have to rely on, but His great strength that helps us and keeps us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment